Friday, February 5, 2010

Question

I've been "talking" through this blog.  Now I want to ask a question and listen to you.  I've been caught up in Romans 12 for quite a while.  Most people think of that chapter in reference to spiritual gifts and how we can use them in service to each other.  I'm stuck on verse 3. 

How do you interpret that?

While you're thinking about that, check out this week's Heart to Heart with Holley (http://blog.dayspring.com/)-- especially yesterday and today.

Still listening . . .
Carol

2 comments:

  1. Great questions and I love Romans so much packed in there to mull over! As for 12:3, let's see...for me, the part that stands out is that we are not supposed to think of ourselves as less than we are, but rather in line with how God sees us--definitely a balance between not being prideful and not belittling ourselves! There's more, but that's a start. What do you think about it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Initially, I think I looked at it as an admonishment not to be prideful about your gift -- whatever your gift is. ". . . Do not think of yourself more highly that you ought . . ." (NIV) Then I read it in The Message and saw it a little differently.

    There, in part, it reads, ". . . The only accurate way to understand ourselves is by what God is and by what he does for us, not by what we are and what we do for him."

    That sounds very similar to what you wrote.

    I'm going to keep thinking and listening on this part.

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Katy.

    ReplyDelete