Saturday, January 2, 2010

Shoes


OK – we’ve established that Jim and I moved here from Texas. We’ve been here over a year now. Slowly I’m changing my wardrobe to fit the casual lifestyle here. Don’t get me wrong – I love it. It’s great to wear jeans all the time – even to church. (You don’t see jeans much on a Sunday morning in Texas.)

Here’s the problem. I love my shoes. Maybe “love” is too strong of a word. I am very fond of my shoes. I have all these pairs of cute little dress shoes – and absolutely no reason to wear them.

That’s especially true of the sandals and the heels. Alaska is snowy about six months of the year. I’ve adapted to the cold weather really well – much better than most people expected. However, I’m still not ready for flipflops or sandals in snow. (Some women do that here. Bravo for them. Not me – not yet anyway). And there’s no way I’m trying heels on ice. I see women brave enough for that. Not me. I break too easily. Seriously – shoulder, ankle, wrist – enough is enough. (And all that was on dry ground in Texas – not slushy, slippery, icy ground in Alaska.)

No, I’m being more practical – choosing shoes for the kind of tread they have, not for the cute little bow on top.

But what about the shoes already in my closet? What do I do with them? They are so cute! I just can’t seem to part with them. I might go somewhere, sometime when I’ll need the perfect pair of charcoal gray tweed and black patent ballet slippers.

Until then, I’ll just keep stepping over them to get to The North Face snow boots – the ones with the tread designed to take snow, slush, and ice.

Still listening . . .
Carol

No comments:

Post a Comment